Bear Boats under spinnaker on San Francisco Bay

San Francisco Bay Bear Boats

A living piece of the Bay’s maritime heritage, 1932–present

SAN FRANCISCO BAY has never been kind to small boats. The great body of water stretching from the Golden Gate to the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta is a place of extremes — gentle morning calms giving way to howling afternoon westerlies at twenty-five knots or more, short steep chop that punishes anything without a proper hull, and fog that can reduce visibility to nothing in minutes. It was into this arena that a small wooden sloop emerged in the summer of 1932, built in a Sausalito boatyard by Portuguese craftsmen whose families had shaped vessels on these shores for decades. She was the first of sixty-nine, and the class she spawned would become the largest one-design fleet on San Francisco Bay.

Origins: Sausalito and the Nunes Brothers

From the Azores to the waterfront — a family of builders

The story begins in Sausalito, the Bay Area’s premier boatbuilding center by the late 1920s — a dense cluster of yards, ways, and workshops strung along the waterfront where the smell of fresh-sawn Port Orford cedar and hot caulking pitch hung in the salt air. Among the most capable builders were the Nunes brothers. Manuel and Antonio Nunes had emigrated from the island of Pico in the Azores and begun boatbuilding on the Sacramento River around 1898. In 1925, they relocated to Sausalito and established Nunes Brothers Boat and Ways. Ernest — "Ernie" — Nunes, just fifteen at the time of the move, would grow into one of the most talented yacht designers the Bay Area ever produced.

The Nunes Brothers Boat and Ways Company in Sausalito
The Nunes Brothers Boat & Ways Company, Sausalito — birthplace of the Bear Class. A vessel sits on the ways while a crowd gathers below. The yard operated from 1925 to 1959.

The Nunes yard quickly earned a reputation for ambition and quality, launching vessels ranging from sixty-six-foot racing yawls to 112-foot tuna clippers and the 127-foot schooner Zaca, later owned by Errol Flynn. But it was a much smaller boat — barely twenty-three feet long — that would become their most enduring legacy.

In 1929, Ernie Nunes sat down with his friend Marty Martinsen, an experienced Bay sailor, to design something new: a small racing sloop purpose-built for Bay conditions that ordinary people could afford. What they drew was a 22-foot, 11-inch sloop displacing 4,400 pounds, nearly half of which was concentrated in a cast iron keel. The sail plan was moderate at 280 square feet. She was designed not for speed in light air but for stability and power when the afternoon westerlies came screaming through the Gate. The construction was straightforward — pine or Philippine mahogany planking over oak frames — a boat that a competent amateur could build from plans. That accessibility was entirely the point.

Bear Class sail plan and specifications drawing
The definitive Bear Class profile with complete specifications: 22’11" LOA, 4,400 lbs displacement, 2,070 lbs cast iron keel.
Bear Class hull lines drawing showing plan, profile, and section views
The hull lines reveal Nunes’s design philosophy: a long, full keel for stability, firm midsections for power, and a clean entry for cutting through steep chop.

The first keel was laid in late 1931. By the summer of 1932, she was ready — a small, handsome sloop with a California grizzly bear painted on her mainsail and the name Merry Bear on her transom. When presented to Commodore Cliff Smith of the San Francisco Yacht Club, he reportedly declared: "That is a bear of a boat!" The name stuck, and the class had its identity.

"That is a bear of a boat!"

Commodore Cliff Smith, San Francisco Yacht Club, 1932

Nunes refined the design after those first trials, and subsequent boats were built from a second, improved model. A building jig was constructed to facilitate framing. After the first five boats were built, Nunes, Martinsen, and the owners formed the San Francisco Bay Bear Boat Association and applied for recognition as a Yacht Racing Association one-design class. To meet membership conditions, the boats were retrofitted with self-bailing cockpits, and the Bear Class was officially recognized.

Front panel of an original Nunes Brothers sales brochure for Bear Boats
An original Nunes Brothers sales brochure with pricing for the Bear "23" — one of the few surviving pieces of Nunes marketing material.
Original Nunes Brothers bronze builder’s plaque
An original Nunes Brothers bronze builder’s plaque — now rare and prized artifacts, tangible links to the craftsmen who created the class.

Struggle and Revival on Treasure Island

A poor man’s yacht club saves the class

Growth came slowly. By 1937, only seven Bears were built or under construction, and the YRA withdrew official recognition. The young class appeared to be dying before it had properly begun. What saved the Bears was an unlikely alliance with the Richmond Yacht Club — a self-described "poor man’s yacht club" founded in a tin shed in 1932. Richmond members discovered the Bear design and recognized it for what it was: a serious racing boat that a handy person could build at home, with keel ballast available for roughly $100. In the late 1930s, more than a dozen members began building hulls in their backyards and garages, transforming the fleet almost overnight.

The hull of Pola under construction, showing oak frames and keel structure
Pola (#8) under construction — the boat that would win the dramatic 1939 World’s Fair regatta. From the J. Vincent photo collection.

The moment that cemented the class arrived in 1939, against the most spectacular backdrop imaginable. The Golden Gate International Exposition — San Francisco’s World’s Fair — had opened on Treasure Island, and the YRA organized a regatta as part of the festivities. Bear sailors worked furiously to bring the fleet up to the minimum required for reinstatement. Jay Vincent finished his new Pola (Hull #8) just days before the event — the paint barely dry. Racing off Treasure Island with thousands of fairgoers watching, Vincent sailed a brilliant race and won, clinching the Bear Class’s qualification. The little Bears had proved they could hold their own, and the class was officially back.

The Golden Age

The largest one-design class on San Francisco Bay

The postwar period brought explosive growth. Returning veterans with boatbuilding skills, a booming economy, and the accessibility of the Bear design combined to produce a wave of new hulls from both professional builders and amateurs up and down the Bay. By the late 1950s, the Bear Class had achieved a distinction no other wooden one-design class on San Francisco Bay would match: it became the largest one-design class on the Bay, with dozens of boats actively racing, their distinctive mainsails — each bearing the iconic California grizzly insignia — a common sight on the Central Bay, Berkeley Circle, and City Front racecourses.

Bear fleet running downwind under spinnaker on San Francisco Bay, circa 1950
The Bear fleet in its glory — six or more Bears running under spinnaker, circa 1950. This image appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle and became one of the most iconic photographs of the class.

What distinguished the Bears from the other wooden classes of the era — the elegant Bird Boats, the ocean-going Farallone Clippers, the lighter Mercury class — was accessibility. The Bears hit a sweet spot: small enough to be built at home, heavy enough to be safe and competitive in strong wind, and designed with forgiving handling characteristics that rewarded developing skill without punishing occasional mistakes. It was the everyman’s racing boat, and the fleet size reflected it.

In identical boats, margins were measured in seconds — races won or lost on a better read of the current, a smoother tack, a willingness to carry sail a moment longer than the competition.

Racing was fierce and social in equal measure. The one-design rules enforced strict competitive equality: sail dimensions were precisely specified, renewals restricted to once every two years, and haul-outs limited to twice per season. This was a fleet where the sailor, not the checkbook, determined the outcome.

San Francisco Examiner clipping showing Frolic racing on San Francisco Bay, 1944
Frolic (#24) racing under St. Francis Yacht Club sponsorship, 1944 — one of the earliest known press photographs of a Bear.
Crew racing aboard Dubhe in a stiff breeze
Bill Hansen, Bud Wetherell, and John "Chilli" racing aboard Dubhe (#38). Racing at its most elemental: three people, a wooden boat, and the Bay.

The Quiet Years and the Modern Revival

Decline, devotion, and the long road back

After the mid-1960s, the story followed a pattern familiar to all wooden boat fleets. The boats aged. Their owners aged with them. Fiberglass construction revolutionized yacht building, and new classes drew younger sailors away. From a peak of perhaps forty or more boats actively racing, the fleet gradually contracted. Some Bears were hauled out and neglected; others were deliberately destroyed. Yet a core group of dedicated owners — Steve Robertson in Smokey, Scotty Cauchois in Trigger, Glenn Tresser in Chance — continued to race through the quiet decades, maintaining their boats with the stubborn devotion that wooden boat ownership demands.

Trigger sailing on San Francisco Bay with Marin hills in background
Trigger (#20) in her element — rail down, bow lifting, the Marin hills as backdrop. Long campaigned by Scotty Cauchois, the fleet’s historian and one of its most dedicated champion racers.

The revival coalesced in the 2000s and 2010s around several parallel efforts. The Bear Boat Trust was established as a non-profit to rescue and restore boats, working in partnership with the Spaulding Wooden Boat Center in Sausalito, which donated yard space and expertise. The Sausalito Cruising Club offered to serve as custodian of restored Bears, providing dock space and a charter program that put boats back on the water.

The emotional high point came on October 20, 2012, when eight Bears sailed into the Aquatic Park Lagoon at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park to celebrate the 80th birthday of Merry Bear, Hull #1 — wearing a set of new 1930s-replica sails hand-crafted by the park’s Small Boat Shop.

Merry Bear being lowered into the water at Hyde Street Pier for her 80th birthday celebration
Merry Bear (#1) — the boat that started it all — at Hyde Street Pier for her 80th birthday, October 20, 2012. The Bay Bridge rises behind her freshly painted hull.

Toward the Centennial

Sixty-nine hulls, one enduring legacy

Between 1932 and 1976, sixty-nine Bear hulls were built — each assigned a sequential number, each carrying the California grizzly on her mainsail. Of those sixty-nine, approximately twenty-nine are confirmed lost. The rest survive in states ranging from peak racing condition to long-neglected hulks awaiting rescue. No one is building new Bears, and every hull lost to neglect or destruction is irreplaceable. The patient, unglamorous work of preservation — replacing planks, refastening frames, recaulking seams — is the work that will determine whether Bears are still racing on the Bay when the class celebrates its centennial in 2032.

Bears racing beneath the Golden Gate Bridge during the 2015 Master Mariners Regatta
Bears racing beneath the Golden Gate Bridge during the 2015 Master Mariners Regatta. Photo by Tom Welsh.

The Association continues as an all-volunteer organization, governed by Articles of Association revised seven times since the 1940–41 founding but retaining the same essential structure: one vote per boat, strict one-design rules, and a commitment to competitive equality that honors the class’s origins. Today the actively sailing fleet races under the Wooden Boat Racing Association banner, competes in the Master Mariners Regatta every Memorial Day, and appears at heritage events throughout the season — the Jessica Cup, the Belvedere Classic, the St. Francis Woodies Invitational, and more.

They are wooden boats, built by hand, sailed by people who love them, racing on the same water where they have raced for nearly a century. That has always been enough.

On any given racing day, you can still see them on the Bay — those sturdy little sloops with grizzly bears on their mains, heavy hulls punching through the chop, crews hiking out as the afternoon westerly builds. They are not fast by modern standards. They do not plane or foil or fly. They are wooden boats, built by hand, sailed by people who love them, racing on the same water where they have raced for nearly a century.